Monday, July 30, 2018
One of those things has been keeping track of our pups, once they have gone on to other things. I'm going to rectify that as best I can, by making a simple list of the organizations we've donated pups to, and if they have a page for our pup, sharing that as well.
The pups will be listed by their Hero Labradors name, with their recipient organization name in parenthesis, to keep the confusion to a minimum. (FYI, many recipients name their pups based on sponsorship, and so a pup we deliver may very well have it's call name changed, but it's Hero Labradors name will be forever on its pedigree, and THAT is unchangeable.)
So, here we go, in chronological order by litter:
- Hero Labradors Polar Bear--remains with Hero Labradors as our stud and sire.
- Hero Labradors Wrinkles (Pete)--became a demonstration dog of Service tasks and capabilities for Dogs Helping Heroes in Jeffersonville, IN.
- Hero Labradors Fuzzy Butt (Ramsey) is finishing up his training at Patriot PAWS in Rockwall, TX and will graduate soon!
- Hero Labradors Ripley (Jackie) is currently with a puppy raiser and the Puppy Jake Foundation and will enter her training phase in a few months. You can follow her at The Journey of Jackie.
- Hero Labradors Ranger is in his forever home with a military family, where he is already learning tasks and will be a tremendous service and emotional support dog!
- Hero Labradors Lord (Wilson) is in his forever home with a veteran, who was a Military Working Dog handler and will train him to meet his service needs.
- Hero Labradors Brisket (Jasper) is with his puppy raiser art Smoky Mountain Labradors in Lenoir, Tennessee, and already stealing hearts (and treats, probably).
- Hero Labradors Bowie is with K9sForWarriors in Ponte Vedra Florida, with his puppy raiser family. He is the 4th pup they have raised!
As I get more info or updates on these pups, I will try to maintain this page.
Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Tuesday, April 24, 2018
First, SciFi goodness from one of my favorite SciFi authors (and I read a LOT of SciFi.)
Michael Z. Williamson was kind enough to autograph and donate two books for us to add to the auction:
Mad Mike is good people. aside from writing, he also likes guns and makes sharp pointy things.
Saturday, April 21, 2018
Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Grace continues to do well on the new antibiotics.
Her incision site is still "angry" at some of the stitches, but as the infection recedes, we expect that to calm down as well.
Still eating and in good spirits. She'll get another kidney function test tomorrow as well, to ensure the antibiotics aren't causing any damage.
Monday, April 16, 2018
Grace's infection isn't healing well... so she needs at least 3 days in hospital again, with IV antibiotics.
We're pulling out the big guns, and the danger is there is a possibility of kidney damage. I had the option of giving her shots at home, and bringing her back in 3 day intervals for urinalysis to check kidney function, but IV meds are better for her in terms of effectiveness of the medicine and really pushing fluids to keep her kidneys working. So the smart choice is hospital stay and IVs. As far as cost goes...
It's Grace. We'll pay it. Too many good years (and puppies) ahead of her.
Grace update 16 April
Grace's infection is challenging. Won't just die. Probably going to need to switch to heavier artillery... which I'm all about--nuke it from space, as it were.
On the physical recovery side, she's a model patient, using the leg, putting weight on it, and ready to start 5 minute walks 3x a day.